8:00 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- Self-contained……………Core academics
- Specialists ……………… Art, Music, Physical Education, Latin
Our Extended Care program is available before and after school for our students every school day. Extended Care is open from 7:15 to 8:00 a.m. and from 3:00 to 5:15 p.m.
Major Field Trips
Oregon Coast Aquarium-Sleeping With the Sharks, Fort Vancouver, and John McLoughlin House
- Language Arts: Students study various kinds of reading materials including fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and myths & legends. They study the parts of speech and writing/language rules through Shurley Grammar. Students practice their language skills and learn the writing process by writing sentences, paragraphs, stories, and research papers. Students learn and use their spelling and vocabulary words in writing assignments and Wordly Wise activities. Our language arts program includes reading, vocabulary, grammar, spelling, handwriting, writing, and public speaking.
- Math: Students learn to master their math facts, decimals, and fractions. They study area, perimeter, volume, angles, ratio, measurements, types of lines, and graphs. They apply math skills in word problems using model drawing from Singapore math curriculum.
- Science: Students study flying creatures, land creatures, and swimming creatures. Social Studies: Students study Europe during the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and the Reformation. They study United States during the Revolutionary War, Westward Expansion, and the Civil War. Also, they learn about the history of a variety of nations.
- Bible: The Old and New Testament are taught including application of Biblical principles to our lives and memorization of scripture verses.
- Computers: Students learn keyboarding and are taught both how to use computers and how to use computers to learn.
Teacher Mrs. Heather Commins is in her seventh year of teaching here at SCA. She received her B.S. in Physical Education and her Masters of Arts in Teaching from George Fox University. She spent three years teaching in a private school in Beaverton and many years subbing in a variety of positions around Central Oregon before deciding to focus on elementary education. “The unique abilities, personality, and learning styles of each student are such a joy to experience and support. It is an honor to be such an instrumental part of kids’ lives as they are shedding the concrete thinking of childhood for the more creative process of adolescent perspectives. I feel blessed to be able to pray and share about Christ freely with my students.”